Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Are we there yet?

21 hours.

By himself. Well, not all by himself. He did have 5 kids with him. Yup, I said that right. Hubs drove my 5 kids, across 3 states, on a 21 hour drive, without me...

...and lived.

In fact, he said it was the best trip ever!

What!!

The only thing missing was ME. Meaning "Long Trip" -minus- "Amazing Wife" = "Best Trip Evah!" He assured me that my absence wasn't what made the trip so great. I wonder.

"There was no fighting! There was only one pulling-over-to-pee stop. And they only watched 3 movies the whole way!" he recounted.

How...what...why...huh! My children? Really?

I'll tell you his secret.

Tyranny. I'm kind of kidding....kind of.

They were only allowed a 6oz water bottle per stop. He stopped every 4 hours. When they did stop, they went to the potty and then ate either a meal or a snack. If they wanted something once the driving resumed, it was an apple.

They could only watch a movie after traveling 1-2 hours.

No-one complained. Why? Because they knew there was no point. Hello! Dad can't really help you once he is driving. They had to solve their own issues. How they did this remains to be seen, but there were no obvious bruises when I got there a week later so they seemed to have fared alright.

Okay, yeah. So it sounds similar to what my growing up experience was...except we could drink whenever we wanted, and we ate snacks the whole trip and we didn't have to wear seat belts, and there were no movies, and we had to listen to my dad's music. Okay, so nevermind. Nothing like my experience.

But back then, an 8 hour trip felt like 21.

My point?

Hubs' is my hero!

4 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Mine, too. Seriously!

=)

Mary said...

You know, my first thought was that it was so easy because he couldn't hear them arguing! ;)
When we would go to Tx. (2 day trip), mom wouldn't let us play any games until the 2nd day. AND, she took the plastic part of the training potty in case someone needed to pee...no way was daddy going to stop just so somebody could pee. (Of course, that was the days before convenience gas stations & fast food restaurants at every exit!)

Unknown said...

We took our boys to Virginia a year and half ago and they did remarkably well. They even slept part of the way. I was in awe...

Melanie said...

Oh My...I need to do it his way (other than the being deaf part). That is awesome. He is my hero too!