Monday, September 19, 2011

Let's Roll

My oldest child was God's attempt at making me arrive places on time. He hates being late, and that is an understatement. He starts freaking out about 30 minutes before the thing starts. Church seems to be the exception to his rule.

So on Friday, he was doing his normal freaking out and made his way into the car. Instead of climbing into his seat through his door, he decided to climb in via the driver's seat...because we all know that is the fastest way to get to the passenger's seat....cough cough...ahem.

While climbing from the driver seat to the passenger seat, he accidentally released the emergency brake. As our driveway is slightly slanted, the car began to roll. I look up and there rolled my car. Kobe's eyes looked like his eyes were going to pop out of his head.

Doing what anyone else in that situation would do, I grabbed onto the side mirror and started to pull on it, as if pulling the mirrior was going to stop the car. I'm strong, but not that strong.

The next smart thing I did was yell, "Stop the car Kobe! Stop it!!"
He looked at me like he was about to poop his pants. "I don't know how to stop the car!"
"Oh. Right. Okay."

Instead, he reached over and unlocked the door. I'm not sure how that got locked, seeing that he climbed in through it, but no matter. It was locked. That was good thinking on his part. He is part Hubs.

I opened the door, jumped in and slammed on the brakes right before the car jumped the curb and hit our neighbor's truck. I am not sure why I didn't just tell him to pull the emergency brake. Probably because that would have been too simple a solution. I don't do simple.

I couldn't help giving him a hard time.

"When you say, 'Let's go!' you really mean it."

10 comments:

Diane said...

Whoa! I'm not sure I would have even thought up grabbing the side mirror. I probably would have freaked and thrown myself onto the hood of the car!

So glad nobody was hurt and hope your neighbor practices that "love thy neighbor as yourself" commandment! Lol.

jen said...

I had that happen to me. It's scary, isn't it? At least you got in there just in time.
Is your heart still pounding>?

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Wow, I don't know if I would have been so quick. I probably would have just stood there and started screaming. I'm the kind of person you need in an emergency : )
Dana

Juli said...

I did that when I was little.

My Mother turned to see me rolling down my grandfather's 1/2 mile driveway.

Don't know why, but I thought to put it into park. Almost killed the transmission, but stopped the car.

:)


So glad he's OK.

But, did you make it on time?

Unknown said...

Yikes I would have had a heart attack right there without a doubt.. glad you and he are okay..

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

i like the grabbing the mirror...that's something i would do

and ur son and i share something....i have to be a hr early to everything. don't even get me started about going to the movies. it drives my husband batty....he's late for EVERYTHING. i'm early. imagine the fights we have when trying to leave the house for anything

Tiffany said...

That is always a fear of mine. My kids in a rolling away car. Glad it didn't end as badly as it could have.

The Crazy Coxes said...

Grabbing the side mirror and yelling at Kobe to stop the car make perfect sense to me!!! Unfortunately, I know this from experience. Luckily, you were able to stop the car before any damage was done!

Susan Anderson said...

At least you could still make a joke! That was scary!!

=)

Jen Kesler said...

Crazy, scarry and funny all at the same time! Whoa!