Monday, September 5, 2011

I don't want to make it burn

Our celebration season begins this Friday. It is my son's birthday. He didn't even know it until they called him up to sing to him in Primary (Sunday School for kids) yesterday. That's how crazy distracted we have been.

But it all starts in September. Mine is in October. Thanksgiving in November. Christmas is December. Baby's birthday in January. Hubs' birthday in February. Two birthdays in March. My daughter's birthday in April. Mother's Day in May and Father's Day in June.

Yes....that's where all our money goes. In case you were wondering.

With my birthday coming up I get asked, "What do you want for your birthday?" I hate this question because I really don't feel like a wanter of much. I would love sleep, but unfortunately there is no way of boxing that up and putting a bow on it.

I do, however, know what I don't want.

Exercise equipment.

You may be thinking that with my new butt-gone commitment that I would be begging for it. Nope. I don't want it. I don't need it.

You see, since about the third year of marriage, Hubs has given me exercise equipment. Every year. Okay, so maybe there was one year here and another there. But in general for the last 13 years, working out has been the theme.

Taebo, Palates, weights, treadmill, more exercise videos, gym membership, exercise balls, mats, Insanity. You names it, chances are we have it.

I should be offended, right?

Nope. And here is why. Hubs loves to exercise. He is a bit of a fanatic. He exercises 6 days a week...sometimes twice a day. He is the definition of dedication. If he could buy anything for himself it would be a gun. But if could buy something else, then it would be something to do with exercise.

He loves it. And he buys me those things because he loves it! He wants me to love it with him. Every year he wants me to love it.

I don't love it. At least not like he does. I do appreciate it. And I do use them. Sometimes. I guess I have been too busy having babies and smack.

I just don't want anymore.

Maybe if he reads this post he'll get the hint.

What don't you want for your birthday?

9 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

This is ironic, and you may laugh at this point, but what I intend to ask for is a new treadmill.

;)

PS. Having said that, I don't like exercise equipment (or exercise) either!

Kerri said...

Oh how I would love a treadmill! Your self esteem must be so much higher than mine...cause I would be none too happy if my husband bought me exercise stuff every birthday. I would for sure think he was trying to tell me something! Anyway, I wish I could have a 1/4 of that love that your husband has for working out...cause I need it!

Unknown said...

I asked for and received a very nice treadmill for our 25th anniversary. It got a lot of use until it was recently replaced with an elliptical. I'm wishing I'd kept the treadmill.

Juli said...

I am also in October, and all my exercise equiptment is down in the basement. :)

This year I'm asking for a kindle.

So I can sit on my butt and read a good book without having to remember to buy one. :)

Teachinfourth said...

Your son is my new favorite! This Friday is MY birthday, too! He and I are going to celebrate it together...apart. Man but we are awesome.

I have a student in my class with this day this year, too...he's pretty jazzed.

jsturner1 said...

My first birthday with Jeff he gave me a fishing pole and a big bag of chocolate. If it hadn't been for the chocolate, we might not have gotten married........

Jenny said...

I'd say I'd like peace and goodwill for all men, when really all I want is a cupcake.

yeah. I'm shallow.

Cute post! Maybe you should just tell him!

The Crazy Coxes said...

I would skip exercise equipment too. I would also skip any kind of power tool.

Unknown said...

Wow, it definitely is the beginning of celebration season for you! Seems like every month there is a reason to celebrate something :)

My birthday is also in October. This year, like every other year, I don't have anything I want for my birthday. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to stop my family from buying things I have no need for. I'm just lucky no one ever got me exercise equipment because I simply have no room for things like that here! :)