Thursday, March 31, 2011

Yes, I said roadkill

One summer, when I was 10 years old, my dad spent the summer running the mail in the small AZ town where my grandparents lived. It was about 3 hours from our house so he would stay with Grandma and come home every 2 weeks.

My siblings and I would take turns going with him and staying the two weeks with Dad and my grandparents. We thought it was fun. We had cousins to play with. Time alone with Dad. Loving from the grandparents. It was great.

There were a lot of great memories that summer: beating my sister in several running races, watching Mary Lou Retton win her gold medals, delivering mail with Dad, watching Grandma and Grandpa dance with each other in the kitchen. Memories indeed.

One memory I have, though, has always been quite disturbing.

On our drive to Grandma's house we hit a rabbit. They kept jumping out onto the road, and this one apparently had a suicide wish. He was unavoidable; dead for sure.

I was a little sad, but soon forgot about the little critter.

We got to Grandma's just in time for dinner. We quickly unloaded our stuff, washed up and pulled up a chair at the table. Grandma always had yummy food and that night was no different.

We started eating and my dad looked at me and said, "Do you know what you are eating?"

"Pork chops?" I asked.

"Nope. You remember that rabbit we hit tonight? That's what we are eating."

I knew that my dad was a joker, but for some reason I believed him. Totally. 100% believed him. For many years. Too many to admit.

Looking back, I know that he was either kidding or we were having rabbit. Not the roadkill rabbit, just rabbit. But I was 10 years old. Very impressionable. 

I honestly believed that my wonderful grandmother had cooked roadkill for dinner.

And my dad let me eat it!

Rude!


**Just for clarification. It wasn't really the roadkill rabbit. It wasn't! Really!!

Participating in ABC Thursday and Writer's workshop. Need a prompt. Try theirs!

19 comments:

Jackie said...

Omygosh that's aweful to think about and you actually ate it lol that's funny .

jfb57 said...

I was looking for the why but as a rabbit lover it would be 'why do people eat them?'!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Funny and twisted....your dad was! It's the kind of thing I would have done.....

Diane said...

I would have lost my mind! I was with my friend and her mom once when I was a kid and her mom accidentally hit a bunny and I was torn up about it for days.

Anonymous said...

My husband has been dying for me to try to cook woodpecker. He claims he will be removing one from the neighbor soon.p

Unknown said...

lmbo sounds like my cousin. Just before he died my mom was taking him home and they hit a rabbit. He made mom back up to get it so he could make dinner out of it. I kid you not

Rachael West said...

Ha ha very cute story thanks for sharing. I remember when I was about 14-15 years old I realized there were alligators in our 50 acre pond. I asked my mom why I was allowed to swim in it as a kind and her reply is "well they never seemed to bother us" my jaw dropped!

Sometimes its crazy what parents say and do :+)

Wanda Metcalf said...

I love rabbit! My favorite was rabbit and rice with mushrrom gravy and biscuts. Mmmm. I hate ever hitting any animal I can't run across where one has even already been hit weeks before.

Susan Anderson said...

Yuck!

"/

RedTedArt said...

Well... even if you "did" eat it.. surely at least the poor little rabbits life wasn't totally wasted????

Maggy

Su-sieee! Mac said...

So, did you ever tell/ask your dad about it when you were much older?

Juli said...

Sadly, when people hit a deer around here, they take it home.

We also have hundreds of wild turkeys, which often go home in the back of trucks. (They are kind enough to snap the turkey's neck on the side of the tailgate to put the poor thing out of it's misery... there are just some things I wish I could un-see.)

Not me. as long as there's a market, I'll let someone else kill and pluck it for me. Thanks.

Suzy Q said...

What a familiar story....

Judie said...

My sister and I came home from school one day to find a pot of chicken on the stove, bubbling away. My mother had killed our pet Easter chickens. It was very traumatic. We poured Comet cleanser and dish soap into the pot so no one could actually eat our pets. We weren't punished, because I think my mother realized just what an awful thing she had done to us.

Along These Lines ... said...

One person's roadkill is another person's stew

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

wow..
grins.

Unknown said...

I totally know what you mean! When we were kids, my family use to go back to my grandfathers hometown in China to visit. My relatives had the most beautiful golden retrievers and labordors. Then one year, my dad told us during one of our large family dinners that we were eating meat from the dogs that they had been raising all these years. It made me throw up and cry because one of those dogs were my favorite. I was 12 back too. Still can't figure out if my dad was just making it up though.

Jenny said...

Hmmm...

This distinctly reminds me of a story my husband told me about his kids pet geese...

Yeah.

Your Grandparents sound wonderful...except for the redistribution of the road kill.

But...

I'll go along with you...

I think it was probably chicken...doesn't rabbit taste like chicken?

ha!

Thanks for linking up.

A+

Jenny said...

Ps. Thank goodness it wasn't a skunk!