Thursday, March 24, 2011

X-cuse me for sleeping

In wanting to participate in Mama Kat's writer's workshop, I made the mistake of asking Hubs what were some of the things I did that made him crazy.

I could only think of two possible things that bugged him. I am that good of a wife. Cough...cough...ahem.

He made me a list. A list. Meaning more than one.  Brutal honesty, I tell ya.

Two of the things I expected.

First, I tend to leave a trail of messiness when I cook. He likes it better if I clean-as-I-go. But I don't do that. I know this drives him crazy, but I think he should just enjoy the treat and to heck with the mess.

I know it drives him crazy when I invite family to come stay with us without telling him. In my defense, I don't always invite them. They just come. That's what families do. Or at least that is what my family does. Also in my defense, I really honestly do forget these things. I would tell him if I remembered.

I knew these bugged him.

But it was the thing that was on the top of the list that made my eyes pop out and my jaw hit the floor.

"It makes me crazy when you lie on the bed doing nothing."

Huh? When do I ever lie on the bed doing nothing? Oh that's right. I think most people call that sleeping. Something that I do far too little of. I seriously couldn't believe he said that. I am not a Hubs basher, and Hubs is usually really great. And he has never voluntarily shared this annoyance with me.

But really?

I am a mother of 5 young children. That in itself is a full time job. Add to that that I work from 5pm-midnight 5 nights a week. I come home, change and settle into bed by 1am. On a good night I get 6 hours of sleep. However, with 5 children there aren't many good nights.  Most nights I get 5 hours of totally interrupted sleep.

Hubs, on a really bad night gets 6 hours. Most nights he gets 8+.

I'm totally not complaining. If I tell him I need a nap, he is always obliging. I get a nap probably 2 days a week. All this time I thought he was being so nice. Come to find out it makes him crazy.

Me sleeping makes him crazy?

I should never have asked. Ignorance is bliss.

Xcuse me while I go lie on the bed and do nothing.

Also joining Jen's X week of ABC Thursdays.

27 comments:

Ingrid said...

OMG ! I am already tired when I read what you are doing ! 5 children + work ! I think he should help you a little more and you do more "Nothings" !

Dominique Goh said...

Whao.. dealing with 3 kids is tiring enough for me.. 5 kids.. that's more then enough reason for trying to get more sleep each night.

Susan Anderson said...

That's it. This calls for MORE lying on the bed doing nothing. MUCH more!

;)

Anonymous said...

I think you TOTALLY deserve some more sleep! And, as a side note, I really like your font, especially the colors!

Theresa Plas said...

Very cute post...made me giggle:) Remind me not to ask for any lists...

Jackie said...

your hubs would really not like me then because I also do nothing when I am standing up. lol

Jen said...

Our hubbys came form the same mold...at least with those 3 things. Funny...the things they'll say when asked, huh?

Diane said...

I thought of asking my husband this question for the workshop but I refrained. I know him though. He would never dare tell me. Of course, we've only been married for under 3 years too! ;)

You totally deserve more sleep! Tell hubs I said so.

Anonymous said...

Do you eat bon-bons while lying there? I have heard some wives do that.

Unknown said...

Umm yeah I would so be on the bed after that doing exactly what he said NOTHING>>

Unknown said...

if those words came out of my hubby's mouth that is just what he'd be getting in bed: NOTHING! Take your nap and don't feel bad about it. A well rested mama means a happy home for everyone!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I hope that your hubs will scratch that off the list after he reads this post.

RedTedArt said...

I need LOTS Of sleep too and there is nothing wrong with you having naps... naughty hubby...

Maggy

Anonymous said...

Haha.. I made the mistake of asking my husband the same question..
Wow! 5 kids and 5 hours sleep?! You are amazing.

Mommylebron said...

See, I thought about asking for my hubs input on this but decided I didn't want to fight so close to the weekend...lol...At least he stopped at three...now go, lie and do more nothing! You need to!
www.mommylebron.com

Anonymous said...

I totally get this. I get 2 hours of sleep a night and my husband would probably say the same thing. I think the truth is that It bugs him when I lay on the bed doing nothing....with him LOL.

Juli said...

Almost Hubs begs me to sleep.

Because the top of his list is my being cranky.

:)

Karen and Gerard said...

That's so funny he said that! Perhaps it was the time of day? I agree with you though, ignorance is bliss most of the time.

Stopping by from writer's workshop. Here's links to ours:
http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-we-make-each-other-crazy-writers.html and http://karenzemek.blogspot.com/2011/03/memorable-neighbor-who-scared-us-away.html

Emily said...

This prompt can possibly cause major fights!

My husband too, sleeps a lot more than me, and I often get jealous. It's midnight, all are sleeping except me, who is trying to catch up on her Mama Kat's posts!

Splendid Little Stars said...

Oh my, YES! Lie on that bed! WhenEVER you can!
YIKES!
How can you not be comatose?!

I am adding to my list of things to never do with a husband:
1. Do NOT ask for a list of annoyances.
2. Do NOT have him go swim suit shopping with me.

I'm sure there's more.....

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Oh Dear. He has got to do so major backtracking. What was he thinking? Do you lie down and lay there with your eyes open? That would be kind of creepy. But it doesn't sound like that's the case. What do you do from 5 until midnight? I've obviously missed this piece of the puzzle? Curious in Canada.
Dana

Erin said...

Ok I so hate to laugh, but OMG LMAO! I just so loved your last line about lying on the bed doing nothing. I am going to remember that and laugh to myself every time I go to take a nap on the weekend!

Judie said...

If my husband comes home and finds me napping in the bed, he thinks I'm sick!!

Carrie said...

I'm totally dying here. If I didn't know what a great guy he usually is because of what you say..I would have to do some serious obnoxious pranks on your man.

Cheryl D. said...

This sounds like a little tiff I had with me husband tonight! He once made a comment that if I need to do some work from home, I could always wake up earlier to do it! I generally get 5 hours of sleep and wake up at 5:40am. I can't tell you the words I used when he said that! LOL

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

ohhh i don't dare ask my hubs what i do that annoys him...but it's bugging me b/c like you i'm perfect (coughs hair ball)

1st i want to say ur my hero for the whole momma to 5 kids and then working until midnight! 2. i got a kick out of this...'when you lie on the bed and do nothing' (my mind went to the gutter!) rofl!!!

Jenny said...

I am absolutely howling over this. I suggest you leave him with all the kids for a long weekend (maybe just drop in on YOUR family - ha!) and let's see how long he gets to lie on the bed and do nothing.

That is totally, totally funny!

Thanks for the smile!

A+

PS. I actually don't know how you ever have time to lie on the bed and sleep with your life!