Monday, March 21, 2011

Roughing it....

When my kids wake up in the middle of the night I let them sleep on my floor.

I am a nice mom that way.

I have a pillow and blanket that belongs under my bed. If you are sick, if you have a bad dream, if you pee the bed, you are perfectly welcome to sleep on that blanket, on the floor, next to my bed.

We've tried the "crawl into bed with me" routine. I'm exhausted enough that I rarely even feel my kids sneak in. Hubs, however, is a little more sensitive to the movement and kicking. It probably has something to do with the fact that the kids put their heads on my pillow or my back, leaving their kicking for their father.

Because I love Hubs and want to avoid his grumpiness the next morning want to please him every way possible I came up with the "pull out bed minus the mattress" idea. It's worked great.

Until last night.

Yesterday, against our better judgment, we let our 2 year old take a much too long nap. Because of this, he wouldn't sleep last night. He woke from his nap at 7:45pm. Finally, around 12:30am, he went down again, but I had to lay by him. In his bed. His ever so small toddler bed.

Finally asleep! I flopped out of his bed and tiptoed into my bathroom to get ready for my own slumber. Not even 5 minutes later he comes walking into my room. Sighhhhhhhh.

Seems he would only sleep if I was laying by him. I don't know if you know this, but toddler beds are not made for mommies. And definitely not for mommies and toddlers. Needless to say, I was not going back there.

Out came the blanket and pillow from beneath my bed. To the floor we went. The hard floor. Camping in my own room. Next to my own bed.  

About 4am I was woken up by my 6 year, climbing onto the floor next to me. There we were, all three of us, crowded on the hard floor next to my bed while Hubs slept. In our bed.

All by himself.

I think next time, I may just kick Hubs out of the bed and let him sleep on the hard floor seeing as he is the only one that has a problem sleeping with kids.

What do you think?

12 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Sounds like a plan!

;)

Carrie said...

sounds like you might need an air mattress under the bed instead;)

Amy said...

When my son was going through a rough patch with sleep I would set up a matress every night next to my side of the bed. If he needed any extra attention I would put down my hand and pat him for a bit. While still getting to being my bed :D. It took me to my fourth child to work out that plan though! And it backfires when he wants to do that every night!

Juli said...

My mother used to do this too...

Kept us all out of her room. :)

My room is right next to the living room, so I just tell the kids to sleep on the couch.

Now if I could only get the cat to do the same...

Unknown said...

...I think you make me laugh every single time I stop by! ; ) You are a great mom!!

Jenny said...

Awwww, let the poor guy sleep. I've heard sleeping on the hard floor burns an extra 100 calories an hour or something!

Cute story.

Kerri said...

You're such a good mom Stef!

I was going to say YES...kick hubs to the floor and then I see Jenny's comment! What?! Sleeping on the floor burns an extra 100 calories and hour?! Hmmmm??? Maybe I will sleep on the floor tonight!

Unknown said...

those kind of nights are the pits. A scar and badge of motherhood.

I like the idea of the BY the bed approach. Even more cruel seeing as we have wood floor and no rug. ;)

Diane said...

Lol. You're a great mom!

Jen Kesler said...

You are a nice mom.

Nolie said...

Sounds like a plan to me.

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

I THINK it's time for you to make a bed like ours....remember this post?

http://www.cowboybootsandbabybooties.com/2010/06/how-big-is-your-bed.html

hubs has even asked if i wanted to add a full size bed to the other side....ummmmm? NO