Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Nooo! Ughh! Ackkk!

The fastest way to get your basement remodeled?

Flood your basement.

The other morning I was driving my son to school and he says, "Mom, there was a puddle of water at the end of my bed."

Noooo!!.

So I ran home and sure enough, there were random puddles on his floor. I checked for empty cups because, hey, he is a teenage boy and there was a high likelihood that is was spilled water. But as I walked around his floor, I could hear the water moving under the laminate flooring.

Ughh!!

I sent out a text to some friends and within minutes I had 6 people assessing the damage.

Apparently the water was coming in from the tiny spaces between the foundation and the cement wall. We had had 2 days of heavy rain...really heavy rain. (I was checking for cats and dogs, to be honest.)

Within an hour, all of my son's floor was pulled up, half the dry wall cut out and about a foot of insulation around the walls. About 1/4 of the adjacent room's flooring, dry wall and insulation  had to be removed.

Ackkkk!

So in the coming weeks we will be putting in a sump pump, new insulation, new dry wall and mostly new flooring.

Voila...basement remodeled.

I do not recommend our method.

1 comment:

jenn said...

how long did the renovations take?

i could imagine standing in a room hearing the water below... that is not a sound i ever want to hear in my life.

that said, my older brother fell asleep in the upstairs bathtub with the water running. he was the only one home at the time. my parents were vacationing in colorado. i'd gone out for a drive, and when i returned, i opened the front door to find two inches of water coating the floor and water was running down the bookcase in the den, that case housed items collected by my father in his travels, hundreds of vinyl records he and my mother had collected over decades, countless books and an expensive electronics system. so yeah... i can understand the dread you felt that morning.