Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Keep the Commandments....all of them.

I am a strong believer in the 10 commandments.

I love God. I do not kill. I do not commit adultery. There are no idols I worship and I try really hard not to covet.

And I do not steal. Ever. Not ever. At least not since I was 5 years old.

When I was five years old I really loved candy. I know that most children aren't like that. But I was. And it seemed that the owner of the local store had put the candy right at my eye level at the check-out stand so that I could repeatedly remind my mother of my love for candy.

My mom didn't love my love for candy. She didn't seem to appreciate my constant reminding that I loved it. Evey time I asked, she would tell me no.

"Mom....can I..."
"Nope. "
"But look it's a new kind..."
"No."
Pleeeeeeease..."
"No. No. No."

Well, on this particular day, I decided I was going to take matters into my own hands. I secretly grabbed the Lifesavers and snuck them into my pocket. I was so sneaky. The teller didn't see me. The manager didn't see. But more importantly, my mom didn't see me.

The key to being a good thief is that you don't steal and tell. I was not a good thief. Terrible in fact. The minute I got into the car I tore the thing open. And started to share with everyone.

Then she knew. She knew I had asked for the candy in the store which she had refused to buy. And yet, there I was, in the back of the van, kindly sharing stolen goods with my siblings.

Back into the store we marched. Not only did I have to give the candy back, I had to tell the store manager that I had taken it and that I was so sorry. I was crying. Partly because I was embarrassed and partly because of the freshness of the spank my mom had so kindly given me.

So, although I may struggle not to gossip, and try to keep the Sabbath Day holy, I DO NOT have a problem with stealing things. Ever!

4 comments:

Juli said...

I think we've all bent a commandment or two in our lives. And your jelly bean back ground just makes me want them more... but I think I'll swipe the change from Tony's coin jar instead of stealing...

...although, I suppose that's stealing from the change jar...

...I'm doomed.

Juli said...

Quick update: Went to the store. Bought candies fruit slices instead. Had a $1 CVS reward coupon.

Crisis adverted. *Whew*

Susan Anderson said...

I had a similar experience and am now a died-in-the-wool non-thief.

;)

Susan Anderson said...

Oops. Make that dyed-in-the-wool.

;)