Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Do you RUN run?

I run.

Not like run run. Just run.

Not like I'm-gonna-spend-the-next-6-months-nearly-killing-myself-training-for-the-day-I-will-push-myself-to-the-brink-of-death run. If I wanted that, I would just get pregnant again.

Most people run because they love it. Some run to meet a goal, to beat a time. And still others join to win a free t-shirt.

Me? I run to sweat. Plain and simple. Stinky and gross. I like it. There is great satisfaction that comes from a soaked shirt and wet hair. It's less satisfying if I don't shower right away. Way less satisfying. Not recommended. But still, the sweat....awesome!

My platform of choice? My treadmill.

I know. I know. I can hear you all groaning, "That's so boring!" Hey! Boring is a state of mind. 
Yes, I know that nature is much more pleasant to look at than the holes in my wall and the dust on my shelves. And the air is fresher...more fresh?...(dang ASL, messing with my English)... outdoors than it is indoors.

Yeah, I know. But there's just something about having a machine propel you forward. Plus, it tells me how fast I am going, how far I am running, and how many calories I am burning. Nice.  If I wanted, I could make hills and valleys, mountains and plateaus, inclines and declines. Lucky for me, I don't ever want to do that.

But this week, being Spring Break and all, I have been taking my kids to the track and running while they play on the grass or in the sandpit or with the javelins. I didn't run as far. I didn't run as fast. I didn't sweat as much.

Why, then, am I so sore!?!! Can someone please tell me why my shoulder blades are killing me? And my legs feel like mush? And my back aches? And why my abs have suddenly decided to come out of hibernation? Why?

This is what happens when I run....

...like run run.

2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I walk run. And slowly.

;)

PS. But I often do it on a treadmill, too. Because it's there, and I'm more likely to get the job done.

Bekki said...

If you ever decide to run outside and want to know all those pesky details like how far and fast you've gone, check out RUNKEEPER app...It's a good one!