Monday, September 17, 2012

Now that's funny

We were easily entertained.

Maybe because we would get tired of entertaining or being entertained by one another and anything was better than leg wrestling or pee-nuckle. Okay, so not my dad's music....that was not better...but pretty much anything else.

I have this memory in my mind of my whole family (that would be 10 of us) packed into our paneled station wagon, with all the windows down. And yes, that does include the back, back seats. You know, the ones where you were facing each other...we need to make more seats like those. But I digress....

I know it was a Sunday evening because we were taking our almost weekly Sunday drive. Oh, we would drive all over town. Granted, that didn't take long...the town had two lights. And let me tell you, a 4 minute drive around town was not giving my parents back any of their sanity.

So we took the backroads.

Where I come from there are lots of backroads. It is an area with lots of natural gas...meaning there are lots of gas wells all over and to get to them you make a road that leads to the middle of no-where. Technically we lived in the middle of nowhere so these roads led you to the middle of nowhere's nowhere.

Backroads were the best! They could take you to some really cool dirt hills to climb on and slide down. (Of course we would never do that on a Sunday.) There was normally no-one on these roads and so you could practice under-age driving...not that we ever did that, but I remember can imagine how fun that was could be.  It would also be a great place to make-out with your boyfriend....but I wouldn't know a thing about that.

But mostly we liked backroads because they had a lot of ups and downs. (Normal people call those hills. We weren't normal.) They tickled our bellies. Plus they were dirt and bumpy and windy.

This specific Sunday, as we were crowded in the car, with the windows down, driving down the dirty, bumpy, windy, hilled roads we saw a few cows. Cows in the middle of nowhere. So we did what any normal family would do. We stuck our heads out of the window and started "Moooo"-ing right back at them.

Oh, we thought this was funny.

Until another car, full of kids who also had their window rolled down and their heads sticking out the window saying "Moo" as well.

Now that was hilarious.

Easily entertaineded, I tell ya.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah I have cows across the road from me. When we moved here our youngest stood in the front yard mooing at them. We asked them what they were saying since they were having a long conversation and he said I don't know mom but it must be important. I cracked up.